In what was a must win game for both sides Gorey were at home to Seapoint last Saturday.

A disappointing performance away to Bective last weekend had taken its toll with a number of big names missing from the home line-up and a general call for concern among the faithful.

The commencement of the game didn’t help to improve that concern as Seapoint’s Zack Jungmann set their stall out early with a break for the line that saw him stopped just short.

Gorey settled and a number of phases later secured a penalty for Dave Shannon to send between the posts. 

A further bout of Seapoint pressure saw them again in the Gorey 22 but when Seapoint knocked-on, quick hands saw Gorey move  the ball wide for Fionn O'Loughlin to race up the field to relieve the pressure. 

The resulting play and a number of phases later another Shannon penalty put 6 between the sides. 

The remainder of the half was all Seapoint as phase after phase saw them batter the Gorey line. Seapoint camped on the line but try as they might they could not break down what was a resolute defence. That was the way the half ended as Gorey withstood everything that Seapoint threw at them to go into the break with their line intact.

The second half saw Seapoint start strong but within minutes, and again inside the Gorey 22, Fionn O'Loughlin popped up, he weaved his way out through the visitors cover to outstrip their chasing defence to touch down for a crucial try.  Shannon added the conversion 13 - 0.


Seapoint again put pressure on the home defence but Gorey were now growing in 

confidence with the back row of Breen, Horan and Hadden causing all sorts of problems to their attack. Gorey again worked their way up field with astute play between backs and forwards taking them into the visitors 22. Another Shannon penalty was their reward. 

Gorey were now looking more confident and the next few phases saw them again back in the visitors 22 and unlike the previous week they were not coming away empty handed. Quick hands through the backs saw Andrew Walsh go over to cheer the home support. Shannon was just wide with the conversion. 

From the restart Seapoint were again back in the home 22. With phase after phase battering the Gorey line. Gorey were reduced to 13 as two players were yellowed carded. Even with the numerical advantage the next 10 minutes saw Gorey go in four down as Seapoint’s Dave McCoy crossed for a Darragh Mullins converted try with Gorey adding another Shannon penalty.


With Gorey  returned to full strength the final ten minutes saw Gorey close out the game with Darren McGrath urging his forwards. In the 75th minute Gorey put the game to bed when Fionn O'Loughlin rounded off a man of the match performance with a defence splitting run taking him in under the posts. Shannon added the conversion to leave the final score at 31 - 7.


Though the scoreline suggests a comfortable win for Gorey it was anything but, as Seapoint on another day might have taken their chances which they did have.

For Gorey, what a difference a week makes as they were full value for their win with some outstanding individual performances culminating with a team effort that spoke more about the collective, as when defence was required it was delivered by a team focused on a result that was so important to the team and the coaches Phil De Barra and Jason Emery.

Next up for Gorey is an away trip to Kilkenny next sat kick off is at 2.30. 


W Rothwell

B O Connor 

K Browne  

D O Leary  Capt 

E Walsh 

K Breen 

B Horan 

S Hadden  

D McGrath 

F O Loughlin 

F Donnelly 

M Duke  

A Walsh  

H Kennedy 

D Shannon 

L  Molloy 

D Redmond 

J Naughton 

A Davies 

B Mason


Our Sponsors

Copyrights Gorey RFC 2022